Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Pizza, hide-and-seek and the logic that ties them

Location: My car
Day: Sunday
Time: 7.30 pm

Since it was Sunday evening, my facial lines were already aligning to make a frowned face, as it was the end of the weekend.

I was driving back home along with my son after performing sacred duties of buying the weekly groceries.

Now he isn’t particularly keen to wandering in the giant aisles of superstores (that he is too young to understand he needs to learn to these duties eventually is another thing).

We were having some general chat - our chats can range from cutting his nails to galaxies, UFOs and dinosaurs.

He wanted me to play hide-and-seek with him once we reached home.

I was trying to fudge citing a reason that I was a bit tired to do that. He was trying to convince me nonchalantly though.

After some time the chats stumbled upon the menu for Sunday night’s dinner. We had taken a ready-to-bake pizza and he wanted it in the dinner.

I suggested we can have something else tonight and pizza on weekdays as it allows us to skip cooking the dinner when we are tired.

He listened to what I had to say. Then he paused for a bit.

And then questioned back - if you can cook something else tonight – deducing that we are not tired if we can cook – why can’t you play hide-and-seek. And if I, being tired, am not playing hide-and-seek, why can’t we have pizza in the dinner.

Wow. I was totally stumped.

Needless to say we ended up having pizza in the dinner.
___________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. Hmm that's very smart of him. Kids have logical reasoning which I think I have lost over years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct, Paresh. And kids are often taught to be factory workers, unintentionally though. And to be fair, cannot blame parents either as they experienced similar thing as a child. There needs to be conscious efforts to retain that precious bit of childhood when they grow up.

    ReplyDelete